Saturday, October 27, 2007

Am I homesick?

The last couple of days I have been missing many things from back home. Oddly enough, most of it seems to be food, but the food I'm eating here isn't that different (I've been eating alot of pizza since we came to Alex - lol).
If I had the food from home here, would I still be feeling a bit homesick? Probably. Things are so different here. I'll miss it when I go home, but I miss home while I'm here.
Could I live here? I think so. But with trips a couple of times a year back to the states. I guess I'm not ready to give it all up yet.
Of course, there's many things I haven't experienced in Egypt, and there may be things that would help me feel more at home, but with such a short visit, it's hard to even start to experience everything that Egypt has to offer.

Things that I miss (in no particular order)
Togo's sandwhiches
IHOP
Being in a car without 18 million other people next to me on the road
Driving
Quiet
My son (parents, friends, etc)
Washing machines that do more than just wash (they don't even rinse! and no dryers either!)
Screens on windows
Cars that don't spew exhaust
My routine
A bed that doesn't hurt my back
Shower heads with decent water pressure
Incandescent lighting (no matter how bad it is supposed to be)
Frozen organic veggie foods I can get at any grocery store

The thing about being homesick is that it isn't about any one particular thing. I know there is more than what I put on that list, but I can't think of anything right now.
But the feeling - I guess everything is so different here. It's like stepping off a plane into a whole different universe.
I'm not sure how I will feel about things when I get home. Maybe I will go back to taking everything for granted. I hope not.
All I can say is alhamdulillah.

love to you all
Will try to post again tomorrow. Internet situation still not quite worked out, but insha'Allah I'll have internet at the apartment sometime tomorrow.

No comments: