Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pictures ahoy!

Well I finally made myself get to the pictures, so that's what today's post will be for.

Not much going on otherwise - the weather was just gorgeous yesterday.  We went to the in-laws for lunch.

Looking forward to getting back to the States for a visit insha'Allah.  The more I think about it the more excited and eager I get.  But it won't be for a few months yet still.  Trying to think of things to bring with me from Egypt (if you want something, let me know and I can give it to you or mail it to you when I'm there in the States) and also things to buy when I'm in the States to bring with me back to Egypt.


Okay, on to the picture show!

First up we have the two roast chickens I did.  The first chicken looks more tasty, at least in my opinion, but it's the second chicken that was absolutely divine!  The first one was just kind of not good at all.  lol


                                                                              _



Next we have a picture of our poor sad EMPTY maple syrup bottle.  I was thinking of having a bottle sent to me here but I think it can wait til I go back to visit to get some.  The bottle is heavy when filled and shipping is too expensive.  I'm thinking of cleaning out this bottle and taking the label off and storing candy or something inside.


And here are some of the apple fritters I made.  They cooked too long, which made the apple chunks mushy and almost tasteless, but overall the taste was fine.  Slightly sweet, little bit of cinnamon.  Next time, I will make them in smaller clumps, but there ended up being so much dough I didn't want to be frying all night long.  Maybe I'll just make a half recipe next time.  Also, I am not in the habit of frying stuff, and I wanted to make sure they got cooked all the way, because biting into something fried that isn't cooked all the way is pretty gross.  lol



Alright, the balcony floor pictures from when I swept.  There are three pictures.  Number 1 is before I started.  Number 2 is halfway done, and number 3 is when I finished.  It's amazing how thick that layer of dirt/dust was.  I don't think you can really tell from the picture.  But when I had finished I had quite a large pile to put in the trash.


                                                                                  _



                                                                                  -



Alright, last we have a picture of the kitchen drawer where we have silverware and some odds and ends.
This particular picture is focused on the twist ties that you get off of packages of bread.
My grandma used to save them, and ever since then, whenever I see them, I think of her.
We don't actually ever use these ones that I save in the drawer, it's just a simple reminder of grandma.



As I've mentioned before, click on any picture for a larger image if you so desire.

That's all folks!

4 comments:

anna said...

wow, the dusty balcony pictures are crazy!

Shari said...

Wow, Melis! You can almost plant a garden in the dirt/dust on the balcony! Both chix look delish; what kind of herbs/spices did you put on the one you liked best? We use the same kind of maple syrple (lol) as you do. I would like to have included a bottle in the "care package," but didn't want to send glass.

Melissa said...

Yup, quite a bit of dust/dirt. If I could have used it for planting I would have. lol

For the chicken, which I did again tonight, I cut up a red onion, couple cloves of garlic and then mixed with salt, pepper, worcestershire and oil. Then just rubbed the chicken with some oil before slapping the mixture on it.

When I brought the maple syrup with me, I had it packaged *really* well. I had it wrapped in a heavy hand towel and then in a ziplock. But no worries on not sending any, I can survive another few months. lol

Shari said...

I know that I've seen pure maple syrup in a plastic container; however, we were at the grocery store on Saturday and I couldn't find one. I think I saw it at Raley's, though.