Friday, April 2, 2010

It's 5:21 a.m., do you know where your bird is?

We've been staying up quite late recently, due to someone's odd sleep schedule (that someone not being me by the way), and so lately, every morning somewhere between about 5:15 and 5:20 a.m., there is a bird somewhere close outside our bedroom balcony who starts chirping.

It is a monotone single syllable chirp.  And it just goes and goes and goes and goes and GOES.  For about 15 minutes or so.  And then it takes a short break for a few minutes and starts up again for a bit, til stopping a short while later.

I'm actually enjoying it.  I know I have mentioned how much I like the start of a new day, and the bird bringing the day in, though it could be a little more melodic, is somehow comforting.

We can hear other birds now and then, but this is the main one that we hear.  I always wonder what he is chirping about.  Is it the same thing every day?  I wish I had a "bird" to English translator.

:::

We roasted another little chicken tonight, only this one came out SO GOOD!!!  My word it was delicious, alhamdulillah!

We were both very pleased and insha'Allah we can make it again this way.  It just had a simple rub on it of minced onion, minced garlic, salt, pepper, worcestershire, oil and vinegar.

Plus I managed to make some kind of gravy type sauce with the drippings and hubby was lovin that.  He is such a sauce guy. lol

And I did take pictures, though how interesting my roast chicken is I'm not sure.  In any case, I did get my photo editing software back tonight, so hopefully in the next couple of days I'll get some pictures up.

:::

Long holiday weekend and also hot. 

Well, not a long holiday weekend for hubby, he just has the regular Friday off.  We were possibly going to go visit some friends on Friday or Saturday, but when we found out the forecast, which will be mid 90's to 100 for the next couple days, we decided staying home might be a better option.  Though we might go visit the in-laws tomorrow.  We shall see.

:::

We've had some power outages in the building in the last couple of days.

We actually had a spell a while back where the power would go out every day for about 5 minutes or so.  Always sometime during the evening and never at the same time.  Sometimes early and sometimes late.

But the last two nights when the power went out it was out for 2+ hours at a time. 

During the daylight it wouldn't be so bad, but when it's dark out it isn't quite as easy.

The water to our apartment is run on a pump, which runs on electricity, so no water while the power is out.

Thankfully I have a flashlight that you wind a little knob to get the light working, and that has been great.  No batteries needed and no need to plug it into an outlet.  And since we don't have any candles in the apartment it really has been handy.

It seems that the power was out to the whole street, though we're not sure why.  Hubby said they were doing some work somewhere on the road so maybe they were working on the power lines.  God help us all.  lol

:::

Might attempt making some apple fritters tomorrow.  Will probably take pictures if I do, and foist them off here.  lol

4 comments:

Dad said...

The roasted chicken sounded delicious. I just did a 5 lbs one last week - good for three meals.
As to shut downs of electricity, it might be well to stock a couple of cases of bottled water nearby. You know me - always prepared (well, most of the time)
Love, Dad

Gina F. said...

That must be nice waking up to a nice little sweet chrip. The bird is singing for you. What a SWEET thing. I made chicken tonight too. It was Lemon Chicken. We are suppose to have some nice weather this weekend that will be good for the kids to find Easter eggs. I hope they get the lights fixed so they don't go off anymore. I hate the DARK. It was nice to read your blog. HAVE A HAPPY FAB DAY!!!

Gina
Visit my blog at http://motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Londi said...

I just saw a shampoo recipe online. It calls for 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup mild liquid soap, such as castile and 1/2 teaspoon mild vegetable oil.

Melissa said...

Hey dad. We only drink bottled water, so we always have some around, so no worries there. :)

Gina, good luck with your blog, looks nice so far. :)

Londi, thanks! If I could find castile here I'd try it, but I don't think I'm going to be able to locate any. We will see! I might just buy a big bottle when I go back to the States.