Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In with a gust

It seems Fall is here at last, though I see a temp of 89 forecast for later in the week.
It's been down into the 50's at night, which is pretty chilly and requires the use of a cover while sleeping.

And after a very long summer of 100+ degrees or so every day, let me tell you, anything in the 50's feels VERY cold.  lol

It's also strange to feel the onset of Fall but without the usual visual cues.

There are no shopping ads or displays, no Christmas music playing, no one talking about Thanksgiving or other holiday plans. 

I think the thing I will miss the most is the lights that people put up on their houses.  Even though Muslims don't celebrate Christmas, that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the beauty in something, and many people create quite a beautiful display of lights during the holidays.

In Islam we have the two Eid celebrations, which happen a couple of months apart from each other, but they are not always celebrated on the same date, since the calendar we use is based on moon sighting.  So, the holidays move forwards by about two weeks every year.  Right now the second Eid is around the holidays in the States, but in a number of years they will be closer to summer.  Which makes Winter seem long with nothing to break up the dark dreary days.

However, I will say, I've never seen so much sunshine in my life as I have since I moved here, and while I've enjoyed the recent few days of partly cloudy skies here, that's really enough for me.  I always got so blue in the winter and spring in the States, because even though it wasn't always raining, we had gray skies for sometimes weeks at a time. 

So... maybe it won't feel so much like the Winter needs breaking up if it isn't so gray and dreary all the time?
We will see.

:::

Nothing to report on the apartment.

:::

We've been watching some older movies lately.  The original King Kong (which we then followed by the newer version), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, South Pacific (which we're in the middle of) and I think I mentioned we had recently watched African Queen.

It's nice seeing the older films.  The acting was different, the clothing styles quite different, and the feel overall is just very different than the films of today.

We still have some oldies to watch, not sure what's next.

1 comment:

Shari said...

The last winter we spent in P'ton it seemed like the skies were gray every day. It got depressing. We have so many days of sunshine here in Minden - sunshine is such a mood lifter...plus that Vitamin D is so good for you! lol