Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sweater weather

Well we are definitely in the days where I need to wear long sleeves or a light sweater, because in short sleeves I am feeling a bit chilled all the time.  Though even with a sweater, because all the windows and balcony doors stay open, my nose will probably always be cold to the touch and slightly runny.

:::

Well, interesting result for the soccer match last night.  Technically Egypt won, however because the results are based on goals and some other kind of point system, it seems that Egypt is now evenly tied with Algeria, so they will have a final playoff game in Sudan.

After the game ended last night, it was as I expected with the celebrating.  Think of a mixture of New Years Eve, Mardi Gras and Carnival all rolled into one.  Quite crazy.  The game ended a bit before 10 p.m. I believe, and while most of the loudest noisemaking was going on for the first 3 hours after the game finished, I could still hear them honking and shouting at 2 and 3 a.m. a few blocks away on the main street here.  Crazy!!

I have a link to a short video of people after the game.  They are on a street and all the cars are honking, there are people waving flags everywhere and it's just insane.  lol
I wish the link was on youtube but it seems someone uploaded it directly onto facebook.  I'm not sure if you'll be able to watch it if you don't have a facebook account, so sorry for that.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=337196655202&ref=nf

I can't imagine being out in that crowd.  Although it seems like everyone is in good spirits, crowds have a way of turning ugly very fast, and there have been some very bad things that have happened to women here in large crowds, so I will stay away from that sort of thing.

Hubby made the comment that if only the country could get this excited and get behind things that were really important, maybe this country could make some positive change and move forward.  I agree, but I also know that it isn't likely to happen.  Why it won't happen, I don't understand.

One of the things I'm most upset about in this country is the air quality.  Not just for myself and what it is doing to me, but for all the kids born who will grow up with asthma and other breathing problems, and for everyone else who suffers as well.  This country really needs to step up its efforts at clean air.

It would also be great if they could up the efforts at educating people on the risks of smoking.  It seems that people either don't understand, or... well, what other reason could there be not to quit?  Once you really see and really understand that you are killing yourself and all those around you, how can you keep smoking?

I know that they lace cigarettes with all sorts of chemicals and I know that the nicotine is addictive, but it doesn't mean people can't quit.  People quit all the time.

Honestly, so many people smoke in this country that if they all quit, I'm sure it would help make an improvement in the overall air quality.

Oh well.  Little steps I guess.

3 comments:

Londi said...

Melissa, I smoked for 39 years and I quit 13 1/2 years ago. I once thought there was no way I could quit and I made feeble attempts a few times, but once I made up my mind to do it, it was actually a piece of cake. I got rid of all my smoking materials, ash trays, matches, lighters, even got the butts all wet so I wouldn't be tempted to dig them out and smoke them. It was so easy, I couldn't believe it. Now, I wonder how I ever smoked. Yuk!

Londi

Melissa said...

Wow, that's a long time to smoke!!
But it's great you quit. :D
That just shows anyone can do it, no matter how long you smoked for.
And I know your lungs are so much happier.

I smoked myself for about 17 years, and hubby is still a smoker (though I am quite frequently, thoughtfully, reminding him that he should quit!).

Every once in a while I still have a dream where I'm smoking and I wake up and want to have one, but it's been 5 or 6 years now and I know I can't start up again.

Shari said...

I clicked on the link for the video, but it was no longer available. However, I did "google" it and saw that Egypt scored with just seconds remaining and the crowd - and Egyptian players - just went wild. Exciting.