Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Coming up!

Well, there are two celebrations during the year for us Muslims, and the second one is coming up in just a couple of days.

In Egypt, this Eid celebration  (called Eid al Adha) lasts for 4 days.  During those days, many people are off work as businesses close to observe the celebration.  That includes basically all government services. 

According to wikipedia, which is better at summing it up than I am:

"Men, women, and children are expected to dress in their finest clothing to perform Eid prayer in a large congregation in an open area or mosque. Muslims who can afford to do so sacrifice their best domestic animals (usually sheep, but also camels, cows and goats) as a symbol of Ibrahim's sacrifice.

The regular charitable practices of the Muslim community are demonstrated during Eid al-Adha by the concerted effort to see that no impoverished person is left without sacrificial food during these days.
Distributing meat among people is considered an essential part of the festival during this period, as well as chanting Takbir out loud before the Eid prayer on the first day and after prayers throughout the four days of Eid.  In some countries families that do not own livestock can make a contribution to a charity that will provide meat to those who are in need."


Don't know that we are doing anything special during those 4 days.  Hubby will be off work but so will the rest of Cairo, so trying to go do things becomes a little more of a pain since it will be so crowded everywhere.

Maybe we can do some cleanup in our apartment or just take some nice walks in the area where we will be moving to so that I can get more familiar with it.

:::

Sometimes I have wondered, if I was given the chance to do things over, to erase something from my past or change things or just have another chance, would I take it?

There's definitely one thing that I wish I could change, however if I changed that, I don't know what effect it would have had on everything else.

I can say that I wouldn't be where I am right now if I changed something, but honestly, I fully believe (sorry to get all God on ya!) that God puts us where we are for a reason, and if we avoid path A and take path B, I believe that if God really wants to, he can make both paths end in the same place.
Does that make sense?

I think we're all where we're supposed to be, no matter what road we took to get to where we are.

There's a certain amount of satisfaction in that.  In being okay with where you are and accepting it, instead of fighting it or being disappointed at times.

:::

I almost forgot, it's Thanksgiving tomorrow for those of you in the States.  I hope you all enjoy it and find plenty of things to be thankful for, the least of which is having life!

I had wanted to try to do a Thanksgiving meal for my in-laws, but I was thinking about that when I thought we would be in our own apartment.  I don't think I could ever manage it here at the in-laws place, not with the kitchen/stove here.  So, insha'Allah next year I can show them what an American Thanksgiving is like.

And if you get a chance, watch the Thanksgiving day parade for me will ya?

No comments: