Monday, July 6, 2009

The box, the box

More hot weather, what a shock!

The hunt continues for an apartment. I told hubby that I wanted to treat myself (well, us) for my birthday and pay for a nice hotel room with a/c and a huge tub and room service and all that. Mainly I want the a/c. lol
Not sure if we'll do it but it's an idea.
Hubby thinks we may have an apartment by then but I don't think it likely, and even if we managed to procure one by then, getting it furnished and hospitable in that short of time seems even more unlikely.
I don't mind as long as we are looking. I am trying to be patient.
=)

My mom mailed me a box from the States full of items that I asked for that I knew I wouldn't be able to find here.
Some are things I will probably just have to eventually give up, unless making trips back to the States and bringing the things back with me, as it's just too expensive to be shipping a lot of things to Egypt.
But, I was well pleased and looking forward to using what was sent.
And very thankful as well!
Thanks mom for all the trouble you went to!

I can smell what seems to be chicken frying in the kitchen. Not sure why my MIL fries so many things when baking would be healthier and less.... greasy.
But, I guess it's the way she's accustomed to cooking. It's not horrible or anything, I'm just still not used to so much fried food.
When I cooked at home I never added butter or oil to veggies or rice when cooking them. Maybe a little garlic salt and that's it.
I don't know how things will go when we get our own place, as it's not as easy for me to just run down to the store and get any possible ingredient that I need at a moments notice. I am trying to figure out how to plan meals for a week or so at a time, and then be able to make a grocery list so that we can just go once a week or so for the more perishable items, and hopefully only every couple weeks for the less perishable stuff.
We'll see how that goes. I've never had to menu plan like that before.
I'll also be dealing with a new kitchen, and cooking with gas, which is quite different than cooking with electric.
Hmmmmm......

The month of fasting, Ramadan, is coming up quick! It should start some time in later August, around the 22nd or so I think.
I always look forward to it with a mixture of excitement and also trepidation.
lol
It's not an easy thing to do, fasting from before the sun rises until the sun falls below the horizon, and yet there are good things about it and I think this dual feeling that I feel about it, is felt by many others as well.
Insha'Allah I will be able to fast okay this year, with no problems!

Hubby asked what I wanted for my birthday, aside from going to see the Harry Potter movie coming out. Aside from going shopping for new hijabs, I couldn't think of much. Is that weird? I guess I'm just getting to the age when "stuff" is just "stuff" and I mostly have the "stuff" that I want.

Hmmm... now I smell garlic frying in the pan. I must go investigate!
lol

5 comments:

Londi said...

I would think that wearing those things you ladies wrap yourselves in over there would be horribly hot and uncomfortable, especially in the kind of heat you descibe. I'd probably pass out from heat prostration!

Melissa said...

Well, some women wrap themselves up more than others. I wear a scarf that covers my hair and neck, and my arms and legs are always covered as well.
Some women cover more than that but I think at a certain point, the heat is the same.
And yeah, it is very hot wearing that stuff outside, but at least I don't have to wear it indoors, unless my brother in law or another male that I am not related to is around.

Shari said...

I think that once you get used to cooking with gas (and it doesn't take long), you are going to love it! This home is the first where we've had gas - had ordered electric, but for some reason ended up with gas. Now I wonder why I ever wanted electric. I'll be interested in knowing how you like it.
I'm thinking that I should send another water mister for Ahmed so he can defend himself. LOL
-- Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Well, I'm used to electric and like it because it's what I know, but I'm open to liking gas more. It will just take some time and maybe a few burnt pan bottoms to figure out the right temps. lol

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I grew up cooking on gas and until I lived here, pretty much always had it. Now I don't have the option since they never ran gas lines out here in the country. I really hate electric. That's where you burn pan bottoms since you can't instantly adjust the heat like you can with gas. I think you'll really like it and wonder why you ever wanted an electric stove.
Jane