Friday, July 17, 2009

.... and they were good!

I decided last night that I wanted to make lemon squares today, and so I told my sister in law and she told my mother in law. We agreed on 10 a.m. as a good time, before my MIL started on making today's meal.

We were one short an egg so my MIL had sent out to get some eggs delivered before I even got up this morning. They came around 10:45, so as is normal here in Egypt, we did not start on time. lol

My MIL got everything out for me and I mixed things up on the dining room table. My SIL helped me out. She's a good lemon squeezer. :D

I ended up using a 12 1/2 inch round pan instead of a 13 x 9 inch pan, since that's what my MIL had. Round seems to be a common shape here for baking as opposed to rectangular or square. Not sure why.
I was a little worried that with the shape/size difference, I might end up cooking them too long or they wouldn't be quite the same as usual, ending up thinner or thicker.

However, the worries were in vain.
They were out of the oven by 12:40 or so, and cooling in the dining room until after lunch, when we finally tried them.

Quite lemony and very sugary and overall I would say they turned out great.
Tart and sweet.
I can't eat too much of them, I think it's the sugar, it makes me feel a bit tight or something. lol
But hubby managed to have 3 pieces. I don't know why I should be surprised about that. hehe
However I won't complain that he likes my baking.

Not sure if we are going out tonight but I guess not. I had thought we were going to go look at some electronics stuff for the new apartment, but hubby just left for a meeting with his business partner and won't be back til maybe 9:30 or so.

Tomorrow.... possibly Harry Potter and dinner out. We shall see.

*edit - I did take some pictures of the lemon squares before cutting them up. Will try to post a picture tomorrow insha'Allah.

No comments: