Friday, January 22, 2010

Cinnamon rolls redux

Not much going on here.  Life as usual at the in-laws.

Out of the homemade quick breads I brought with me, so my MIL has ordered me some cinnamon rolls to have with breakfast.  Had one this morning and they taste as good as I remember.

Here's a picture I found online today that shows the numbers the US uses and the numbers that they use here in Egypt, side by side.  You can see how it might be confusing on a few of those, though the 1 and 9 seem basically the same.



However, the Egyptian 6 looks like a US 7, and the Egyptian 5 looks like a US 0, and the Egyptian 4 looks like a backwards 3.

Anyways, I think I have them fairly well memorized as far as looking at them, however I still need to learn to say the numbers. 

It rained quite a bit the other night.  It was around 3:30 in the morning perhaps and I was still awake.  Unfortunate that I couldn't go outside and watch.  Hard to watch rain in the dark though I guess.  Plus it was cold.  But, nice that we're getting more rain.  I think it flooded in upper Egypt.  Which would be southern Egypt, despite being called upper.  lol  I believe it is called upper because in the south is where the Nile starts at and then flows northward.  So where it starts is called upper, even though technically it's southern, not northern.  I hope that made sense.

Not much else to speak of.  Not sure if hubby will come home Monday as planned or stay longer.  The time has gone by a lot quicker than his last trip away.  Perhaps because I've been in the country longer and am used to staying here at the in-laws.

Maybe I'll post some more pictures soon, since I never did get around to that.  lol

2 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Very confusing numbers. I know in my beginning Hebrew class that the numbers are different too (they use letters - how confusing could that be) and I've about given up on them for now since I don't have to know them right away and am having enough trouble with the alphabet. Greek was not nearly as hard and at least they use the same numbers.
I suppose you'll have to learn them, though, since shopping without knowing how much things cost just won't work very well.

Melissa said...

Some stores list prices in both languages so I can read those ones of course, but some stores only list the Egyptian way and if you are in an open market, there might be no prices at all, it might be only verbal, and only Egyptian. So it's better that I learn.
Seems there's quite a bit still to learn here.