Friday, January 15, 2010

Buttered fingers

Well, it's been a long day.  And now I'm so tired I just want to have a nap, but I don't like taking naps so late in the day so I will prop my eyes open til I feel more alert in a couple of hours.

I wanted to get up at 9:30 this morning to get some baking done, but I fell back asleep til 11, and then it was non-stop baking and getting ready so we could leave the house by 2.  I managed to get everything done but just barely.

Didn't eat til lunch, which was at 4.  I'm at the in-laws now, and I wasn't sure what we were going to have, but it was something we have had before, which my MIL calls negresco.  I'm not sure why it's called that, or what the word means.  It's basically pasta tubes cooked with some kind of white sauce and this time there was small pieces of shredded chicken in it.  I can't remember if there was mozzarella cheese or not.  In any case, it was good and I probably ate a little too much. 

I'm now trying not to have my fingers and toes freeze off.  I forgot that they leave all the windows / balcony doors open here at the in-laws, and with no heater it gets pretty darn nippy!  At our apartment, we have the air conditioner / heater unit in the bedroom, and I'm generally in the bedroom for most of the day so when I get cold I can just turn the heater on for a bit.  Thankfully there's a nice warm blanket on the bed, so at least I won't get cold at night.

I tried not to cry this time when hubby left.  Last time he went to Kuwait and I didn't expect to cry but I guess I couldn't help it.  And so this time, I thought, well, it won't be so bad, I'm already used to living with the in-laws and all that, but, once again, I did cry.  Not as much as last time so maybe that's a step in the right direction.  It seems silly, I've been living here for 10 months now, it's not like he's disappearing forever or something.  Oh well.

Oh.  When I was baking this morning, well, I found a way to butter the pan without having to get my fingers all buttery.  When I was living in the States I would just use a paper towel or napkin, but we generally don't have those in our apartment here, and so I found that if you use a fork, you can kind of spread it around with the fork and not have to get your fingers all greasy.  But for some reason today, while the first dish cooperated just fine, the second did not, and so I had buttered fingers.  lol

We've been trying to figure out where the mosquitoes are coming from at our place.  We have screens and so they shouldn't be getting in that way.  Hubby thinks maybe they are coming in through the a/c heater unit, but I don't know.  He'll  check it out when we get back after his trip.  It's really quite irritating to be woken in the night by mosquitoes buzzing in your ears.  In any case, I'm going to insist that we get a mosquito net for the bed.  Even if we kill the ones we see before sleeping, I don't want to have to worry about it while we're asleep.  So the net will help.

Okay, enough rambling.  Time to find something else to keep busy and occupied!

No comments: