Sunday, May 2, 2010

Field Trip

Well, I've not been ignoring the blog, just being a little lazy.  Plus, nothing much exciting going on.  And still didn't decide about the logging in thing.  lol

:::

We went to the in-laws yesterday for lunch and had a nice walk around afterward.  We picked up some more cocoa since we were out of it and hubby wants more brownies, and also picked up some more cheddar cheese, imported from Ireland.  Good stuff.
It's a shame that these items are so expensive.  I don't think they cost that much to import, but I think that the stores think they can price gouge people coming from other countries, and since they get away with it, I guess it's true.

:::

Going to attempt some stuffed mushrooms in the next couple of days.  When hubby said he wanted some I thought I'd just look up some recipes online and pick some that sounded good and mix/match.

However, it turns out he had a specific recipe in mind, something he ate at a restaurant once while in Kuwait I believe, and not something I've really heard of, which was mushrooms stuffed with cheese and oil and butter.  Without knowing what kind of cheese and how much oil and butter I'm not sure I can pull it off.

I found recipes that call for cream cheese but I don't think that's what was used.  I'm thinking of trying romano or something like that, as I'm not sure a cheddar would work?  Perhaps it would though, maybe I'll try a half with each.

Anyways, adventures with fungi coming soon!

6 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I haven't made stuffed mushrooms for a long time, but I used to use a stuffing made from seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. That might be kind of what he's looking for.
Jane

Melissa said...

I told him about bread crumbs and we looked at pictures using Google images search, but nothing looked right to him.

He told me he had liked the dish so much that he asked the waiter what was in it and the waiter told him it was cheese, butter and oil. So unless the waiter left something out, which is possible, there were no bread crumbs.

But, he also said it wasn't over stuffed looking like all the pictures we saw, it was almost the inverse of that.

I considered using Parmesan but we didn't find any at the import market yesterday and all we have on hand is Pecorino Romano, which I figured would be similar enough to use.

Anyways, I told him I wasn't sure about doing it the way he wanted but he said we can try other kinds, so I'll probably end up using some breadcrumbs in any case.

Marcouiller Trimble said...

i bet the type of cheese he had in his mushrooms was halloumi (it is a popular cheese in the middle eastand turkey).
attached is a link to a recipe i found for stuffed mushrooms with spinach, halloumi cheeese and onions. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/stuffedmushrooms_83607.shtml

xo
-m

Melissa said...

Thanks for the link. The recipe sounds nice with the spinach. Next time we're at the import store I'll have to pick some up.

He thinks the cheese might have been keshkavel, which I'm not spelling right. I don't think I've had any before so no idea what it tastes like. He said that halloumi is thicker than the cheese that he had.

I'm thinking of having him call the restaurant up and just ask them what kind of cheese it is, if he can remember the name of the place. lol

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, but I'm just trying to catch up! Craig has a really yummy recipe using blue cheese & bread crumbs. I can pass it on if you're interested!

Melissa said...

hey jennifer, sure that sounds good, pass away! :)