Friday, May 14, 2010

What's with the ginormous cans?

I finally opened up the can of pumpkin we bought several months ago and made some pumpkin bread tonight.  Tomorrow I will attempt some pumpkin cookies.  And then I will still have pumpkin left, because the only size can of pumpkin they have is the huge size, not the normal human size. 

Not sure what else I will make.  If I can find a pie tin and can be bothered to make crust, perhaps a pie, though I'm not sure I'll actually have enough pumpkin left for that.  Maybe some muffins that I can stick in the freezer.

What I noticed, is that along with the giant cans of pumpkin sold here, I can not find a can of pineapple that isn't also that ginormous size.  Who needs that much pineapple at once?  Really?

As much as I wouldn't mind having a nosh on some pineapple, I don't want THAT much you know?  So for now, I will just have to deal with the slight cravings I get whenever we're in the store and I see the canned pineapple.  lol

Wow, my life is so hard right?  :D

:::

Friday tomorrow, so a day off for hubby.  We don't have any plans as of yet.  Maybe we can go for a walk at least.  I don't think we're headed to the in-laws.

Oh.  But the temperature is supposed to be up around 100.  So maybe not going anywhere til it cools down a bit at night

The forecast for Sunday had been 111, but is now down to 104.  I know I should be thankful for that but really?

:::

I had the opportunity to use an expression tonight that I have never used before.  It's something that I heard my father use on occasion, and not something I thought I would ever actually say myself.  But I found the perfect situation for it.

Mind you, I can't actually tell you what it is as it's not exactly.... um... polite.  But it is funny.  And can be very appropriate.  

Anyways, I guess it's our duty as kids to pass on the sayings of our parents, or they will be lost with time.  So I'm just doing the future a favor right?

:::

Made meatballs a couple nights ago.  Wow the kitchen and apartment smelled SO GOOD!!  They were tasty as well, though unfortunately they irritated my throat quite a bit (acid reflux) and because I ate some hot dogs today and they are a bit spicy (cos really, you can barely buy meat here that isn't spiced) instead of getting better my throat got worse.

Not sure what part of the meatballs was hard for my throat.  Onion, garlic, worcestershire?  I generally don't have a problem with that stuff when it's cooked.  But there was quite a bit of worcestershire, more than I usually use in recipes, as I'm used to using just a few drops for flavoring.

:::

Someone requested a recent picture of me so hopefully I'll get some pictures taken soon and post them up.
I mean not just of me but other stuff too.  Not too many interesting things to take pictures of in the apartment and I'm mostly at home so that's why I don't have so many pictures to post all the time.

2 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Everything seems to come in larger sizes than it used to - just when I only have 2 to cook for instead of a crowd. It might be easier to just use what pumpkin you want and then freeze the rest of the pumpkin in 1 or 2 cup portions to use in recipes later, rather than baking a lot and taking up a lot of freezer space. Just a thought.

Melissa said...

Funny I was just thinking before bed last night that I should freeze the rest of the pumpkin.
The bread is good, but the chocolate chips in the cookies hurt my throat yesterday so hubby will eat those I guess.
In any case, I think we'll be pumpkin'd out here shortly, so freezer it is. I think there will probably be about a cup or a little over. Enough for a loaf of bread in a few months or so.

Though someone did suggest pumpkin pancakes. Which sounds great but I bet they would be a lot better with maple syrup. lol