Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chicken conspiracies

Well I realize it's been a week since I've written.   Sometimes I'm just too lazy to put words down, and other times I feel like there's nothing interesting to talk about.  Not sure if this trend will continue or not.  I always feel kind of guilty when I don't write for a few days.  Silly me!

:::

The weather has cooled down a little bit.  Mostly in the mid to upper 80's, which is a lot nicer than the upper 90's and mid 100's weather we were having. 

The a/c has been running quite a lot, which will bring the electric bill up.  However, last month our electric bill was 77 pounds.  I had to laugh about this.  The month before it was something like maybe 20 or 25 pounds, I can't remember exactly.  But 77 pounds equals about 15 dollars.  :D

I've heard that the more you use your electricity, that the price doesn't go up steadily, it kind of doubles and quadruples, so we shall see as summer wears on.

I also told hubby we should get a fan, since sometimes that is all that is needed, just to move the air around, as opposed to the a/c.  Cheaper to run, even if we have to spend 50 pounds (or however much they cost) to buy it.

:::

Generally when buying chicken, we buy frozen whole chickens.  The ones we buy generally weigh either a kilo or just over.  That always kind of cracks me up.  While I was growing up, the only thing we (I) heard kilo in reference to was drugs.  So thinking about the illegal chicken we're keeping in the freezer kinda gives me the giggles a little bit.

Anyways, there are two brands of chicken that we buy, but last week or the week before, they were out of those two brands and so hubby brought home a third brand.  No big deal I figure, they're all pretty much the same.

Except... this one still had it's neck bone attached.  GROSS!

Usually they take that bone out and the end is just kind of sealed up there, but for some reason this company leaves the bone there and man it was just too much.

I know that I'm eating an animal, but truth be told, the more it resembles an animal, the less I'm inclined to eat it. 

Sometimes I smile when I see the half a chicken frying in the pan because for some reason sometimes they look too much like a dancing chicken.  Except... you know.. dead and with no head and not resembling the cartoon that plays in my head of dancing chickens at all.

Last week when I decided to roast a chicken, I hadn't let it thaw out first but figured that it would be fine if I just let it cook a little bit longer.

It got to the point where it had been cooking for what I thought was long enough.  I took it out of the oven and it looked nice and roasted.  I pierced it with a fork and the juices ran clear.  Well, done I thought.

I turned the oven off and went to checking the rice and a couple of other things before I got around to putting the chicken on a plate so that I could cut it in half.

Which is when I noticed that although the outer layer was quite cooked, the inside was still quite uncooked!
Ooops!

And the oven was off, and since I have to pull out the oven tray to light the oven, and the oven was still quite hot, there was no way I was going to light it again, so I stuck the chicken in a pot with some water, oil and vinegar, added a little salt and pepper and let it cook that way til it was *finally* and for real done.

I think I learned a lesson.  We'll see.

:::

Went for a nice walk down Faisel street last night.  About 45 minutes of walk til we got to the restaurant we wanted to get food from.  Sat 20 minutes inside waiting for it to be done and then caught a taxi back home.

The restaurant, I can't remember if I've talked about it before, but it has the best chicken EVER!  For real.
And it's not a chain, just a stand alone place.

They actually have kind of barbecue pits but they're built into the wall so all you see is the opening.  The coals are underneath and the opening isn't all that big and mostly just looks like a rectangular black hole
But you can see the guy cooking from where we were sitting in the lobby, as it's just behind a glass barrier.

We got home and got the food out and I took a bite of my chicken and it's just like heaven.  I don't know what spices they use, but it is so good.  Not too spicy, slightly sweet, it's just perfect.

Hoping for another walk tonight but we'll see. 

:::

Trying to start making some plans towards coming to the States for a visit.  Looked online at ticket prices which are ridiculous, so will probably have to go through a travel agent, who will hopefully have some better deals.  $1300 bucks to fly Egypt Air (which sucks) isn't going to work for me.  At least for that price give me a decent airline.  lol

When I flew here a year ago it was through Delta but on Air France planes.  I've heard a lot of complaints about Air France but they were nicer than nice to me and the planes were just fine.

I'd love to fly first class sometime on a flight that long.  The problem with the 12 hour leg of the flight is that the seats are a bit cramped and you don't have that much leg room, even a shorter person like me, so while a couple hours flight isn't bad, 12 hours is just kind of miserable.

:::

Found the most ginormous daddy long legs in the bathroom the other day.  Scared the bejeepers outta me.  I took a picture because I couldn't believe how big it was and I figured I had to show hubby and I thought perhaps I could post it here, but honestly the picture is still sitting in my camera because really I don't want to look at that thing again.  lol

I left him be where he was, not sure what to do, and went about mopping the floors.  On one of my trips back into the bathroom, I noticed that he had disappeared, and upon looking for him found him hiding behind the toilet.  At which point I got the spray hose and hosed him down the floor drain which is right next to the toilet.  Phew, I was more than happy to have that thing out of sight!

There haven't been a lot of spiders here that I have seen.  Occasional roach which gets killed fairly promptly, and we've had some roly poly bugs which I find strange and which hubby is not acquainted with.  I tried to explain that when I was a kid and found them I would touch them and then they roll into a ball and then you can flick them and they roll all over the place.  I think he thought I was crazy.  lol
I guess kids do weird stuff.  :D

2 comments:

oldie goldie said...

wow it's hot there.. we here in finland have had a week of really hot weather, but when i used the converter ( F to C) i saw that's it's not that hot actually, comparing to there.. it's been about 25-28○C. 27 woyld make 80F, so you would probably love it here..

the chicken thing.. my hubby and his friend made bbq last night. grilling things seems to be men's job, so at least i can say i ddidn't have anything to do with the bloody chicken legs. except that i took a bite of one. one bite.. and left it at that..

Melissa said...

Assalamu alaykum sister.
Yes it is much hotter here but you are right I think I would enjoy your weather better.
=)
Sorry about your chicken! I love bbq meats, so tasty! :)