Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In love!

Well it was pretty warm today.  Warm enough that I had just the tiniest inkling, while I was sweeping the apartment, of how it will be to do housework when it's 5 billion degrees during the summer.  Maybe not so nice.  lol

In any case, although it would appear winter is over here by the 5 day forecast, hubby says it will be back.  I'm not so sure but he's the native.



:::

I made shortbread yesterday.  And wow!  Talk about love at first bite!  Flaky, buttery and melt in your mouth!  I understand why people love it so much, though I'd much prefer homemade to store bought.

However, because there is so much butter, that being pretty much the majority ingredient, it's also an easy way to pack on some pounds if you're not careful.  lol
Thankfully I'm not too worried about that right now but I can see how it could sneak up on you easily.

:::

Going to meet a cousin of hubby's tomorrow that I've not met before.  It's one of the daughters of his mom's sister.  This cousin has 6 kids!  Holy smokes!  lol

She is visiting here from Kuwait and she brought two of her kids with her.

I've met two of his other cousins, so this will be the third and there is another in Kuwait that I will meet soon insha'Allah and one more who I probably won't meet for some time, if ever, as he resides out of the country.

Anyways, excited about the meeting.  I hope her kids are nice.  lol


:::

Almost forgot, the picture that I posted the other day.

Well...

I make pasta a lot and I use a bouillon cube and some butter in the water while cooking the pasta, and kind of let it cook down.

After eating the pasta one night, I decided that I didn't feel like washing the pan right away, so I put some water in the bottom of the pot so that it wouldn't get all crusty and be hard to clean.

The next morning when I went to look at it, this is what I saw.  The butter and bouillon cube had left a residue and when mixed with the water, this is what it did.  It looked so neat in person.

Mystery solved!

2 comments:

Shari said...

Have you tried using olive oil instead of butter in your pasta water?

Melissa said...

No, we don't have any olive oil. I need to find one, but I'm leery of spending the money on one and not liking it. I like a very very very light olive oil.
In any case, I prefer butter to oil for pasta anyways. I find that oil makes things kind of slick.