Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Two, solved

Had a nice long post written out and the computer ate it.  Kind of irritated about that.

The big news today is the protests going on all over Cairo.

It's turned ugly and violent and people on both sides getting hurt.

Not sure how much media coverage it's getting in the States, but most of the major news stations here are avoiding it.

However there is a huge amount of media online from ordinary people, so it's still possible to get lots of live coverage.

Scary stuff I tell you, and I'm glad that I'm inside and not out there in the thick of it!

:::

Well it's been over an hour since I wrote that above.  Still trying to follow coverage online.  The protest is still going strong in places and it's now 6:30 p.m.!

*edit - 10:45 now and still going!

:::

In a previous post I had talked about the different sounds that I hear throughout the day, and that there were a couple that I weren't sure the source of.

Hubby was able to discover both, though one of them he knew already and just hadn't heard when I was hearing it since he is generally at work when I hear it.

So, the most irritating of the two sounds turns out to be a guy walking around selling cotton candy from clear plastic bags hung on a tall pole.

He's got some kind of horn or something he blows, and it sounds like someone ran over the horn while it was playing a scale, and badly out of tune at that.

When I was finally able to "point" the sound out to hubby, he knew exactly what it was, as it seems to be the default here for the cotton candy guys, much like we know it in the States when we hear the ice cream truck go by.  I guess this sound has been irritating people for many years.  lol

Well, maybe the kids don't mind it but it really drives me up a wall.  You can hear it so clearly for blocks around and when he passes by right on our street?  Aaarrgggh!!!!  lol

The second sound, slightly less annoying but not by much, turns out to be from a guy riding around on a bicycle selling fresh milk out of metal tanks.

I'm not sure if the sound is a hand held horn or something he blows on, but it's kind of circus-y sounding and reminds me of clowns, and not in a good way!

I hear this guy go by at least twice a day, (assuming it's the same guy and not two different guys) and the second time he goes by is generally after midnight.

Who buys milk after midnight?  Weird!

Anyways, happy to have those two sounds identified, even if there's nothing I can do about the noise pollution they make.

:::

Mostly keeping up with my picture project.  Have only missed two days since I started.  I don't always post the picture right when I take them, but I will never put a picture up for a day when I didn't take one.  They might just come every other day or so at times.

And as predicted, still mostly focused on food.

There's such a great lot to look at in this world, and not just in old places like Cairo, but really, in any place.  This earth is just full of wonders, from the mighty to the minuscule.

That's all for now.... maybe I'll post tomorrow any updates about what's happening today in Cairo.
If you have me on facebook, I have a few links posted on my status update that you can take a look at.

1 comment:

Marcouiller Trimble said...

seeing the footage of all the protests going on over there. hope you are ok. it seems to be rocking.
stay safe. xox