Monday, January 3, 2011

Falafel donuts

Happy new year to my family and friends.  May this year bring you many blessings.

During the last year, I kept a separate blog for things that I did around the house, to keep track of things and see how often I did certain things.

You can "tag" each post with a label(s) and then the tags are kept in a list and you can go back later and see that each tag has a count for how many times you posted it.

I didn't start on January first, it was actually February 14th, but since I'll be starting fresh this year with the first, here's what the list looked like for the past ten and a half months.

# apple bars (5)
# apple bread (3)
# apple fritters (1)
# apple pie (1)
# banana bread (2)
# basbousa (1)
# biscuits (15)
# bread (35)
# brownies (5)
# cake (1)
# cheesecake bars (1)
# chocolate cookies (1)
# cinnamon rolls (2)
# clean (18)
# cookies (5)
# creamy lemon crumb squares (1)
# dishes (135)
# floors (22)
# fried apples (1)
# gas tank (3)
# honey-florentines (1)
# kiss cookies (1)
# laundry (167)
# lemon squares (5)
# mop (16)
# muffins (3)
# oatmeal coconut bars (1)
# oatmeal cookies (1)
# oatmeal raisin bars (1)
# pancakes (18)
# pizza (1)
# poundcake-bites (1)
# rain (2)
# scones (5)
# shortbread (1)
# shortcake (1)
# sick (8)
# sweep (21)

Most of those items are basically either baking related or cleaning related.

The sweep/mop/floors can be combined though I didn't do them all at the same time.

I didn't list every time or every day I was sick so I'm not sure what that figure tells me and I'll probably leave it off for the most part this year.

Laundry took the top spot with 167 times and dishes took second with 135.  Booooring!  lol

Where it lists just "bread", those are the times I made quick bread but didn't put what kind.  Most of that is probably lemon bread or cinnamon sugar bread, both of which were staples for a while.

And it appears that I really like to eat pancakes for breakfast!  They are quick and easy to make and I definitely prefer making something at home than buying from a store.

Nothing too exciting about the list.  I'll be interested to see how and if it changes in the coming year insha'Allah.  :)

*just to note, I did list more things on my daily blog than what I have tagged here, but some of the items weren't interesting or I was inconsistent on listing them, and some were more personal in nature.

:::

I used to love eating falafel before I moved to Egypt.  Although I've read that it was probably invented here, the kind that I'm used to eating is made from different ingredients than what is standard here in Egypt.  I believe the kind I'm used to is made more in Lebanon and around that area.

So, here in Egypt they generally use fava beans for making falafel.  I really don't like it so well.  It's not bad, it just doesn't taste like falafel to me since the kind I'm used to eating is made with garbanzo beans.

Hubby and I were talking about it recently and so he decided to try to find some places that made it the way I like it.  His mom recommended a place close to where she lives so he brought some home recently.  I was expecting the normal shape, kind of a large sized ball, and instead what I got was this:


Falafel donuts.  :D

Well, they did taste more like what I was used to, as they were made with garbanzo beans, but they didn't have a lot of taste other than that, except that there was something spicy in them.  I couldn't see what it was from looking inside.  And after even just two of those things I had some awful heartburn.  I guess deep frying isn't so good for acid reflux.  lol

But, they were cute and we are still going to check out some other places to see if I can find some I like better.

2 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I was thinking about your list today and I figured out what what wrong with it. I like cooking as much as you do, but there is no FUN on the list - only household chores. Maybe that should be your New Year's resolution, to add some fun things to the list.

Melissa said...

Actually, technically you're right, there's not much fun on the list, though I do enjoy all the baking.

But, two things about the list - when I started it, it was just to keep track of stuff around the house, and second is that I didn't tag the fun stuff I did (though there was admittedly not enough), I just wrote it in, so it didn't show up in the list of tagged items.

But, now that you've mentioned it, I think I should work a little harder at that having fun thing. Although I think there's something wrong with that sentence.... working hard at having fun? lol