Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Great Grape Hunt!

Well, amazing how quick a week goes by yeah?

I'm actually just using this as a "save" since it's after 4 a.m., and I'll post tomorrow, just didn't want to ignore my Monday posting all together!

See you tomorrow!

:::

Okay, here we are.  Still technically Tuesday for me since I haven't gone to bed yet!

It was raining today, alhamdulillah!  :D

It's been overcast for the better part of a week, but mostly only threatening rain without dropping much.

We had a tiny bit a couple of mornings ago and then again we had some this morning, but a bunch.  And then again late this afternoon we had a good amount, and this evening as well.

We could use it for sure, though it makes traffic even more of a nightmare and because there is no decent drainage here, it causes flooding with very little rain.

Still, I am happy for it.

But, as much as I hate to say it, I am ready for the sun again!  I miss the rain, but one hundred percent do not miss gray skies.  I really love Egypt for all the sun here.

:::

Every time we go to a grocery store, even if it's our regular store we go to all the time, I always search for grape jam or jelly.

When I first moved here we were able to find some grape jam, but that was about 2 years ago now, and we have not found any since then.

I would actually prefer jelly as I don't like mushy fruit bits in my food, but at this point I'd even be okay with jelly.

But, none to be found that we can see.  Every other kind of jelly you can think of, and even some imported specialty stuff, but no grape.

And odd that they mostly sell jam here as opposed to jelly, while in the States I know there is a wide variety of jelly.  I'm not sure which sells better there, but obviously people here either don't care for jelly or it's just not made.

Anyways, I don't really care for any other kind of fruit spread at this point, though perhaps that will change in time.  It's been a long while since I've had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

:::

I think I've been doing okay with my project 365, though I did miss one day.  It's sometimes hard to think of something to take a picture of since I'm generally in the house most of the time.

And, because I sometimes don't think about taking a photo til late at night or early morning, there are many things that just aren't as easy to get a picture of.  Daylight and time definitely help.

But I'm having fun.  And I'm still interested.  Both good things.

I have a feeling that a lot of my picture will involve food.  I really love how simple arrangements of food (or non-arrangements) can be so visually rewarding.

I do have some pictures that did not make it to the 365 page, because I can only post one a day, and have to take new ones every day, so hopefully there will be more images posted here.  I know the long wordy posts without pictures can get a bit dull.

Today's extra, actually there were a few extra but this was the only one I had ready, is the veggies before I peeled and chopped them for a bean soup!



I'm sure I had more to talk about but I'm blanking, so that's it for now!
Thanks for stopping by.

Oh, wait, now I remember. 

Suggestions for getting perfume smell out of clothes?  I've tried washing them quite a few times in the wash, with and without detergent, and also tried soaking them in a vinegar/water solution, neither of which seem to be doing anything.

Maybe I didn't use enough vinegar?  Or maybe apple cider vinegar would work better?
Keep in mind I don't have access to special detergents that are sold in the States.

I'm really at a loss and really want to wear these clothes (they were a gift and came to me smelling like the perfume department of Macy's) but can't handle the smell.

Help?

2 comments:

Marcouiller Trimble said...

vodka gets body oder stink stain out of clothing, maybe it wold work. (that was a trick i learned when i did some work for the theatrical wardrobe union in s.f.. it was funny to open a bottle vodka and pour it into a spray bottle :))

Melissa said...

Hey Michele, it's funny but I did just read about that yesterday when trying to find some more solutions.

I'm not sure where I'd even look for vodka here! lol
Not many stores selling it I guess.

I also just read that if you stick the clothes in a bag with some baking soda for some hours and up to a day or more and then wash them that it has good effect, so I'll try that next.

Will keep the vodka in mind for a desperate measure! :D