Monday, December 27, 2010

Promises, promises

Well, it was my aim to post at least once a week, on Mondays, so here we are.  :D

It's been an "interesting" few days around here.  At least for me.  And by interesting I really mean kind of cruddy.  lol

Something I ate late on the 25th left me with world war 3 going on in my stomach.  I thought I would be fine the next morning but not so.

I wasn't eating or drinking anything as my stomach really couldn't handle it.  Not a great idea but I was listening to my stomach.

I was also freezing all day and decided to take a shower.  Tried and tried but couldn't get warm, and ended up passing out in the shower.  I could tell before hand it was coming on so I kneeled down and thankfully wasn't injured, but this was not the highlight of my day. 

Passed out once more before I made it out of the bathroom, after which I went to lie in bed under the covers.

Hubby brought home some 7-up for me, which I mixed with water and that seemed to stay down okay.  And had some fresh chicken broth later in the night that seemed okay as well.

But... you know that saying, when it rains it pours.... lol

It seems that the shower and being cold had managed to make me slightly ill as well, and last night I had achy bones and a fever.

Doing better today.  Managed to make pancakes without passing out though I did have to bring a stool into the kitchen to sit on.  lol

Hopefully, tomorrow will bring better things.  I'm pretty tired of being sick!

:::

I figured out that yellow split peas and green split peas are basically interchangeable.  I'm not sure why I never figured this out before, but why have two different kinds of peas if they are pretty much the same?  And what's the deal with the things that look like split peas but they're kind of orange/red?  Are they split peas or something else?

Anyways, I've not found any green split peas here in Egypt and I really miss the split pea soup I used to make.  After some research I see that you can make split pea with fresh peas but it won't have the same taste as with the split.

But, I will now keep an eye out for yellow split peas and see what I can see!

:::

Still no rain but hubby heard there was a possible storm predicted for later in the week.  Boy that would be nice.  I don't miss the gray skies of winter where I used to live but I do miss the rain. 

I think, perhaps if we lived someplace where I could see the Nile from our apartment, maybe I wouldn't feel it so sharply, but as it is it's just dry dry dry.  I miss the water.

Optimally, I'd really love to live by the ocean somewhere.  Or at least have a vacation home by the ocean.  Not a crowded LA type of area.  Someplace a little more quiet. 

I remember my first trip here, back in 2007, after we had gotten married, hubby and I were staying at a furnished apartment for a bit and there was a very large and long thunderstorm.  Totally awesome.  It lasted for a couple of days.  Thunder, lightning and rain.  I think it was actually a little unusual in its length.  Something like that would be nice now.

:::

Missed being with family over the holiday.  Miss seeing Christmas lights and decorations everywhere.  Missed the feeling of excitement and energy everyone seems to get.

Although as a Muslim I don't celebrate Christmas anymore, it's hard to let go of something you've done every year of your life.

Honestly, Christmas was never a religious celebration for me.  It was more of a secular thing I guess you could say.  And I think it's that way for a lot of people. 

It wasn't so bad when I was living in the States, after becoming Muslim, because even though I wasn't celebrating myself, I could still see the lights and all that stuff.  But here in Egypt, not so much.

There are ex pats here who celebrate but you don't see hardly anything by way of decoration.

And most of the Christians who live here are orthodox (no idea what the difference is) and celebrate Christmas on January 7th.

Anyways, missing family.  Still feeling homesick.  Thinking about where I really want to live in the future.  Not sure if I'll be happy here in 10 years?  Who knows.  Things change.  People change.  Circumstances change.

But I'd be intrigued by perhaps Italy.  Or France....

3 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

The orange ones are probably a kind of lentils. I always buy the brown ones, but my health food store has both. And yes, green and yellow split peas are just a different variety of pea, not difference other than the name.
Hope you feel better soon. I had something like that a couple of weeks ago. Not nice, but luckily it didn't stay around long.

Shari said...

Hope you're feeling better by now, Melissa. I had a case of food poisoning several years ago after eating at Mandarin Gourmet here in Minden. I have never been back to that restaurant! We missed having you here with the rest of the family at Christmas. :(

Melissa said...

About the lentils, yes I suppose the orange ones are lentils. My mother in law makes them and hubby loves them. They call them adz. They have the brown ones as well though they get used for one of the national favorite dishes, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

I can't imagine I'll want to eat from that same place again, though I had eaten a chicken sandwhich there before with no problems. Who knows if it was just too much beef or it had gone bad or who knows what. Hard to always trust restaurants when you can't see how they're handling the food or know what the turnover is like for the product.