Thursday, December 23, 2010

Agua por favor

Water was turned off this morning as they were going to be trying to fix the pipes in the building.  Again.

Of course this means I can't do much in the house.  No dishes, no cleaning, no laundry, no getting lunch ready. 

Perfect excuse to be lazy, which is what I would have done anyways.  lol

Thankfully water is back on now and laundry is going and lunch/dinner will be going soon.

:::

We still have not had any rain yet this season.  I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get any at all before the year is out.  Since I've only lived here about 2 years I don't really have a long history of weather to remember to see how abnormal this is.  I know that this isn't exactly the rainiest place on earth, but it seems odd to not have had any yet.  Even hubby remarked that it was dry.

Alexandria got beat by some horrible storms a short while back, even getting a light dusting of snow, but all we got was a sand storm for 2 days.  Which deposited PLENTY of sand on our floors and pretty much everything else with a horizontal surface.

I saw some video of the flooding in Alex, it looked pretty extensive in some areas.  Hopefully they will be able to recover from that fairly easily.  I am hoping we can go visit there soon but maybe best to wait for another couple of months first.

:::

We finally got our winter blanket cleaned and have it in use on the bed.  Alhamdulillah!
Although our weather is not as cold as many places, when it's in the 50's or 60's outside and you don't have a heater to use, it stays pretty darn chilly.  My hands, nose and feet are in a semi-permanent state of frostbite until the weather decides to warm up again.  lol

We do have the a/c slash heater in the bedroom, and we did use the heater for a couple of days when it started getting cold, but the filters need to be washed and they're a bit of a pain to get to so we've had the heater off since then and I just need to keep reminding someone, since they are taller and can reach better, that they need to be cleaned.

And we finally got the hot water going in the kitchen again, which has been great for not freezing to death while doing dishes.  It makes such a huge difference.  Very happy about that.

:::

I eat pancakes maybe once or twice a week for breakfast.  I don't put any butter or oil in them, only some butter in the pan so they don't stick, so they aren't too bad on the unhealthy side, and I do get some dairy from the milk in them.

In any case, I made some the other day and decided that I would make them rather miniature sized, or smaller than normal anyways, just for something different.  I really like eating smaller sized foods for some reason.  I just adore chip crumbs.  lol

After I had finished making all of the pancakes, I decided to take some pictures, and I was mostly taking them with the macro thingy on the camera to get close shots, but hubby came into the kitchen and saw I was taking pictures and decided I needed to have a syrup bottle in the shot.  And then he further decided that we should stick some green apples in the shot.  I'm not quite sure what the thinking was here.  Artistic license I suppose. 

So, here is the picture, as arranged by hubby.  :D


:::


I think this has been the longest break I've taken from writing since I moved here and started posting regularly.  Just needing a break and not much going on I suppose.

I decided that maybe if I picked one day a week to post, maybe that would be easier to do than reminding myself that I need to post and never getting around to it.  Like a schedule eh?  I haven't decided what day yet, but I'm leaning towards Mondays.  Keep your fingers crossed.  :D

:::

I have heard rumors that there is a sewing machine in my immediate future.  While this is exciting, I heard this a couple of weeks ago and should have technically had it already, so I know not to hold my breath until it happens.

Insha'Allah we will be getting it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Although I looked around online for models I was interested in, I'm not sure of the availability here, so we'll have to actually go check to see what we can find.  Right now it's between Singer and Brother.  I wish I could have brought my Husqvarna machine with me when I moved here but wishing isn't helping much now.  lol

:::

It seems that a Kuwait trip will be happening sometime in the near future and though I thought we might have been able to include me in this trip (I even offered to delay the buying of a sewing machine to be able to go) it isn't going to happen on this trip.

I have been assured that hubby will look around and find a decent place for us to stay at so that in the future I will be able to go with him.

I wouldn't say I exactly threatened him about leaving me here while he goes, but he understood that I was not in any way happy about it.

As much as I love and care for his family, being deposited to live at their house while hubby is off in Kuwait for 3 weeks is not okay with me.  However, it's also not okay for me to stay in the apartment for 3 weeks on my own.

It's impractical for a bunch of reasons, most of which I think can be solved but perhaps not all.  Which is why he is going to look for places for us to stay while he is there this trip.

I really really REALLY hope I will have the sewing machine by the time he goes, so that at least I can fiddle faddle around on the machine every so often.  Maybe I'll even finish the couple of quilts I brought with me when I moved here.  :D

2 comments:

Dad said...

Hope you get your sewing machine before the Kuwait trip. I remember the sewing lessons you took oh so many years ago. You're a natural. Virginia is improving. Love, Dad

Melissa said...

Well, still no sewing machine, but the trip has been put off, at least for now, so that's not as much of an issue.
I remember those lessons as well, in the back room of that sewing store. You know, I haven't been down that street in so long I wonder if that store is still there....