Sunday, July 18, 2010

On Time!

Enjoying my stay here at the folks house.  For the most part it's pretty lazy and comfortable and relaxing.

One difference that I've noticed is that whereas in the Middle East, time is approximate, here it is very precise.  When someone says 2:30 here, they don't mean 2:45 or 3:00 or as soon as you can make it, they really mean 2:30.  It's a little bit of an adjustment after having no schedule and not having to rush for almost a year and a half for anything.  It's not bad, just a difference.

We saw a movie yesterday, Sorcerer's Apprentice.  We all really liked it.  It's nice to see movies in the theater instead of on your computer.  lol

Thinking about walking down and getting some video or pictures of the geese that hang around this one area nearby.  Not sure if I'll do that today or another day though.  I did get some video this morning of all the birds and squirrels in the back yard.  Well, it's more of a back strip, long and thin.  Anyways, it's nice to wake up every morning and have scampering animals to watch.

Here is a picture of some birds on the seed sock that is hanging from the patio.



The other day we had a great thunder and lightning storm.  It did rain but not too much, mostly just the thunder and lightning.  I had a great video shot, or would have, of some lightning, but one of the porch posts got in the way and obscured it completely.  lol

Here are the hills across the way during the storm.  I'm sure it was raining plenty up on top there.



I might try to upload some short videos to youtube later, but I got a new camera and it takes really large sized photos and videos, and while I can easily fix the file size on the photos, I'm not sure how on the videos, and they might just be too large to upload.

:::

I have noticed some stares since I got here.  I guess people here are not used to seeing a woman wearing a head scarf.  Well, the town size is approximately 3,000 people (it was under that on the 2000 census), and I can't be positive, but I really doubt there are any other Muslims living in a close proximity.  Perhaps in Reno, but that's 45 minutes away.

The stares aren't really nasty or mean, mostly just curious.  You can see people whispering sometimes after catching sight of me.  I just try to act "normal", lol, and don't really let it bother me, but it's hard not to notice.  I've tried, in general, to be more smiley or something when out in public, as a smile can make such a big difference to your appearance.  I had forgotten what it was like not to look so much like everyone else, as it's the norm for women to be wearing a scarf in Egypt.

Maybe something positive will come from this, who knows.

5 comments:

Shari said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday dear Melissa...Happy birthday to you. :D

Marcouiller Trimble said...

sounds like you are having a nice relaxing trip. hope you are getting to spend lots of time with your son. are you going to get to see steve?

oldie goldie said...

sounds like you're enjoying yourself sis!

and it's so true what you say about approx. time ans precise time.. i'm from finland and dh is from palestine.. lol i've noticed some difference :D

Melissa said...

Thanks mom.
=)


Michele, we tried to work it out but my tickets turned out to be non-changeable, so unfortunately not this trip.


Salam oldie goldie. Yes I am having a good time, it's great to see family.
Funny about the time thing huh?
=)

Teen thrills said...

Your post are good, I love reading about them!