Monday, July 26, 2010

Cal ih for nigh A

Well we are back from a quick overnight trip to California to drop my son off and check on some things I had in storage.

I think we were in California for all of maybe 24 hours or so.  Stayed overnight at a nice hotel, though after seeing all the exposes they do on hotels nowadays, I was feeling slightly germaphobic.  lol

I was sorry to drop my son off but we'll see him again in a week.  It's been great spending time with him and I've missed him so much.  He's a great kid and insha'Allah he'll keep growing to be a great man.

Saw a friend who I didn't get to see before I moved to Cairo and also met her daughter who I had never met as she was only a month old when I moved.  Nice to meet with a friend since I don't really have any in Cairo.

So here are a few pictures from the trip.  In no particular order.


This is from this afternoon, on our drive back.  I can't remember the names of the lakes right so you don't get a name with it.  lol



These are some baby cows that live where my son lives at.  Apparently my son's house shares a yard with a couple other people so they have a lot of animals - cows, goats, ducks, chickens, geese, etc.
There were some baby ducks that were too cute.



This was monkey enjoying the ride into California.  We were somewhere around Sacramento at this point.  I think he was hoping to catch a glimpse of the governor.  :D



This is a little over halfway driving from California to the folks place.  Lots of wide open fields, and because it's summer and it's hot with low humidity, everything turns brown.



This is a picture my son took of me when we were just starting our drive on Saturday morning.  The long boring hours in the car had not hit yet.  lol
It's a beautiful drive but it's also a rather dull one and almost 4 hours.



Took my parents out for dinner on Saturday night.  I ordered the home made mac n cheese with a side of veggies.  The mac n cheese is great.  I'm sure the veggies were too, but I didn't have any of them!!  (Shhh... don't tell my husband!).

All in all it was a nice trip.  It was odd driving around the town I grew up in and lived in most of my life.  Lots of conflicting emotions.  I miss driving around and the freedom of going wherever I want to go without the hassle of traffic or taking a taxi or whatever.  But I don't miss the rut my life was in, and the grooves I had worn into my life in this city.  Plus and minus, like so many things in life.

Good to be back at the folks.

2 comments:

oldie goldie said...

alhamdulilah you had a nice trip sis! the photos are lovely and you look pretty!

Melissa said...

Salam sister. Thanks! :)
I miss my home in Egypt but I will be sad to leave my home here in the States as well.