Friday, July 2, 2010

Fun with Vinegar

Well, I learned several things about vinegar the other day, all within 15 seconds or so of each other.
And when I say, "fun with vinegar", I'm not sure fun is exactly the word I'm looking for.

It was washing hair day, and I've been using the apple cider vinegar as a rinse after I wash it.  It's been fine the last few times I used it.  I expected it to be fine this time.  And indeed it left my hair soft.  And I managed to wash more out this time so I smelled less like an Easter egg than the last few times.

However....

Before washing my hair, I had shaved my legs.  With a new razor.  Can you guess where this is going?

So I'm rinsing my hair with the vinegar, and the moment it hits my legs, I gasp so I get a nice taste of the vinegar, and simultaneously my eyes open in surprise, so my eyes get a nice dose of vinegar as well.

Things learned:  vinegar stings in cuts (left by new razors), it stings in your eyes, it doesn't taste that great (even diluted) and one shouldn't use it after shaving.

Lesson learned.
lol

:::

One of my husband's cousins is getting married today.  Well, today is the paperwork part of it, the contract signing.

And then in a few days will be a henna party and a few days after that the wedding party.

I've been invited to the henna party, along with all the other females in the family.  And both hubby and I are invited to the wedding party.

I have to say, I am not really thrilled about this.  I'm not upset, it's just that I know even though they are Muslim, things won't be done Islamically.  And that's their deal, except that when I'm there, it affects me as well.

In any case, both should be interesting.  Not sure how many women at the henna party but the wedding is supposed to be "small" with only 200 people or so.   Ha ha ha?  I would consider that fairly large.  I'm not sure I even know 200 people.  lol

Will try to take pictures, though I'm not sure I'll be able to post any.  Will be sure to write about my impressions though insha'Allah.

:::

Getting excited about my trip back.  Less than two weeks til I go.  And I just discovered today that I'm actually leaving here a day earlier than I thought.  Ooops.  lol

The flight leaves after 12 a.m. and so technically even though we will drive there in the night of one day, it's leaving on the next day, and I was thinking we were driving there on the next day and so... I lost a day.

But, that's okay.

Haven't figured out what I'm going to pack.  Not sure how the weather will be, though I don't expect I'll be outdoors all the time.  Hopefully the parents enjoy using their air conditioner.  lol

I've been downloading things to listen to for my ipod.  Mostly comedy routines from some famous comedians (nothing explicit, thank you very much), but also a couple of autobiography/life story type of books.

I think the ipod gets 16 or so hours battery time before it dies, so that should last me fairly well.  I think I'm only flying for a total of 16 hours.  But, there is the 5 hours layover in Paris and I'm not sure what I'll do.  I'm pretty sure I have to change terminals from where I land to where I board the next flight, so maybe I'll have a good wander around some shops or something.  I don't want to sit in a seat for 5 hours in addition to sitting for 16 hours of flying. 

Excited.  Hate the flying part but excited to be headed West.

Anyone know if I can put my computer laptop bag inside a larger duffel bag to bring on the plane?  I hate to be stuck only bringing a large purse and a laptop.  If I can fit the laptop inside my duffel bag that would be optimum but I'm not sure if the laptop has to only be carried separately.

7 comments:

Marcouiller Trimble said...

you can put your lap top in another bag, you just have to pull it out when you go through security. i am sure you are sooo excited!

Melissa said...

Thanks Michele :)
And yeah! I'm sure the day of the flight is going to sneak right up on me, it's close!

oldie goldie said...

ouch i can imagine your vinegar 'fun'.. sounds painful. inshaAllah you will have a safe trip!

Dad said...

You know that July 14 - when you have that 5 hour lay-over in Paris - is Bastille Day. During the French Revolution in 1789 it was on July 14 when the crowd stormed the prison and let all those imprisoned out. It is their Independence Day like our July 4. So don't be surprised over all the goings-on in Paris while you are there.

Shari said...

Do you really need to bring your laptop? You know that you're welcome to use our computers. And it occurs to me that you're going to be in a different time zone for the first few days, so you could be up in the wee hours after we've gone to bed. Dad and I are usually off the computers by 9:30 every evening. Yeah, we're gettin' older and going to bed earlier these days. Okay, what's a "henna party"? Do all the women color their hair? LOL Or is it an Egyptian phrase for a "hen party." The first part of your blog regarding your vinegar adventure had me cracking up. I still laugh to think of it.

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I've always wanted to go to a henna party. I just love the intricate designs. Will you get to do your hands too?

Melissa said...

Oldie goldie, not too painful, mostly I was just laughing at myself.
=)

Dad, thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping the flight attendants and others will be happy because they'll make more money that day, instead of miserable and grumpy from having to work on their holiday. lol

Mom, don't *have* to bring my laptop but I think it will make things easier.
Henna party is where the women get together and apply henna in intricate designs to the skin. As for the other things that happen at the party (music, dancing, etc.) it depends on the party, some are just about the henna and some are more "lavish" with food etc.

Jane, the henna parties I've been to in the States were fun, lots of women/girls and it was just for the henna and everyone would bring food as well.
Not sure about this one, there is supposed to be a lot going on and I'm afraid it will all be a little too "girly" for me. lol
I have had henna before but last time I got it done I was actually allergic to it, like a plant kind of allergy, so we'll see. I'll be able to tell by the smell if I'm allergic to it or not.
Also, I'm not sure but since this is a marriage thing, it might be just the bride who will get the henna done? It will be a long night in any case.