Monday, March 1, 2010

Picture Day!

Remember in school when you had picture day?  Well, this is nothing like that.

It's just some pictures of stuff around the apartment, I can't remember all what right now so lets dig through the picture files and see what we have!

Remember, you can click on any photo and it will take you to a larger version of the photo.

:::

 
  
First it seems we have both sides of a 7up bottle, the English side first and then the Arabic side.


Here you can see the lovely spaces under our balcony doors and the windows, which are great at letting massive amounts of dust in.  No wonder I have to sweep every couple of days.

 

Here you can see our current gas tanks.  The one on the left is actually hooked up to the stove, which it is sitting next to.  I had thought hubby said it was a new tank, but there is nothing new looking about that tank at all, so maybe it got switched out before they brought it up to our apartment.  The tank on the right, rather squat looking because I messed with the dimensions on the photo, is our second tank, which we got from the in-laws, which was at one of their other apartments that they don't stay in.  It will be nice to have a backup tank.  I wish the tanks weren't so dirty and crusty looking though.  We actually have a cover on the one in the kitchen but you know what?  I still know it's dirty and crusty underneath.  lol
 

Here we have our milk carton.  They come in the cartons like juice boxes or soy milk or vegetable/chicken/beef stock.  Kind of different than what I'm used to.  English on the left, Arabic on the right.  And yeah, hubby likes full milk.  Thankfully I only use it in cooking, because who can drink that??  Well, aside from hubby that is.  lol   Actually I think it's quite common here to drink full milk.  

 

Egyptians are crazy about their tea.  They drink all sorts but I think the most common is Lipton's yellow label.  You will find it everywhere.  I guess it's the default.
English on the top of the package, Arabic on the front.

:::

I think I missed mentioning that while it was raining and thundering/lightening the other day, it also hailed!  Quite unusual for Cairo, and I guess it's been some years since they've had any.  This is not a city that is prepared for such a thing I can tell you. 

When we were walking downtown that day, in the rain, I saw just a few umbrellas, and there are tons of people walking around.  Thankfully I had something I was able to stick over my head so that I wouldn't get quite so wet.  Though that didn't stop mud splatters from covering my shoes and the bottom of my pants.  Yay for washing machines!

:::

I'm trying to get a handle on the dust here at the apartment, and how I would like to mentally deal with it.  As in attitude.  Sweeping seems so entirely futile when the dust comes back so fast, and yet I can't just leave the dust either.  I'm wondering if the vacuum will get it up better or easier than a broom and so I'm looking forward to that comparison when we get a vacuum. 

Still... I can see where resolve would wear down with this volume of dust.  I am a clean person.  I like things clean.  You can have piles of things all over the place, just make sure they're clean piles.  lol

So this is definitely a challenge.  How can one woman conquer thousands of years of history blowing through the cracks of her house?

5 comments:

Londi said...

It sure looks like you need some weather stripping under those doors. Do they have that over there?

Melissa said...

Well, I'm sure they have it somewhere. lol
The question is where.
I wish we had places like Home Depot or Ace Hardware where you can get all that stuff in one place, but they don't, as far as I'm aware.
I think hubby has tried to look for some weather stripping before, at least he mentioned that he wanted to get some, but I'm not sure what ever happened in that regard. Maybe he couldn't find a store for it?
Sometimes it's too hard to find the simplest things here.

Dad said...

Your last sentence is pure poetry Melissa. Love it. Dad

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Maybe what you need is something like one of those draft stoppers that were popular a few years ago - basically just a tube of fabric that is stuffed that you put at the bottom of the door. You wouldn't even need a sewing machine to do that.
Besides hubby? - I only drink whole milk. It's what I grew up on and I find anything else just tastes like watered down milk. Maybe it's because my family was diary farmers from back in 1683 until the 1950s - something genetic. There are studies, by the way, that have shown that whole milk makes the body use vitamin D and calcium much more effectively, and actually promote weight loss over people who use low fat or skim milk, all of which are nice bonuses since I'd drink it for the taste anyway.
Jane

Melissa said...

Hey dad, thanks! :D

Jane, that's a great idea about the draft stopper, don't know why I didn't think about that. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

And I was teasing about the milk. I'm sure as kids, my brother and I drank full milk. Not sure when I made the switch to 2%. But in any case I don't drink milk straight at this point so it doesn't make much difference to me. I think one of the reasons I'm so conscious of the percentage is because the area I lived in was so hyper sensitive about being THIN and eating things that were fat free etc.
I'm sure the full milk is fine, though I seem to remember there actually being more calcium in the less fat versions? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.