Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken and things

Well, I had a rough couple of days earlier this week as my computer had a fit and wouldn't start up.  Hubby had to fix it for me and I still don't have a lot of my programs and things.

I was going to post a picture of the nice looking (though small) chicken I roasted, but I don't have my photo editing software back yet, so that will have to wait.  However, I can tell you that it looked a whole lot better than it tasted.  It was the first time I roasted a chicken, and I think I learned enough about what I did wrong to do better next time.

The dust finally stopped (we had a sort of a dust storm for over a week), though it's been really windy, so in fact, though there is not dust in the air like there was, it's still blowing in the wind as per usual.  It's inescapable and you'd think I'd tire of talking about it, but apparently that isn't so just yet.  Boring but part of life here.

I don't think that hubby and I will be making the big trip together this summer to the States, I think it will just be me.  Wish it could be otherwise but it is what it is.  Insha'Allah we will be able to make the trip together at some point.

Still haven't figured out what is wrong with the weird spots on the walls, and I'm afraid to clean at them because I don't want to inhale whatever is bubbling up and flaking off.  Really just not sure what to do.  Wish there was a reputable person I could call to come take a look at it.  However, let's be realistic, this is Egypt.  I'm sure there is *someone* here who would really know what was wrong, but the chances of finding that person and knowing that we found that person seem slim.  For now it will just remain a constant but slight worry in the back of my head.

I need to find some dirt.  I'm sure we could get some at a nursery, and hubby seems to know where one is (or at least was) but it's the getting to the nursery that is the issue.  So many things to do and of course hubby is very busy with work and of course I don't go out alone.  Anyways, I want to plant the seeds I have and the time seems right but I don't know when it will happen.

Used hubby's aunt's sewing machine while at the in-laws to repair some seams on some of hubby's clothes.  It was fine except that the place that she took the machine to get it repaired had oiled it, and the didn't bother to clean it up after so it was messy and stinky.  I had to wipe it down before using it, and even after that, the clothes that I repaired smelled like the oil and had to be washed.  Still, it was nice to be able to sew something, even if just for a couple of minutes.  Can't wait to finally get a machine of my own.

4 comments:

Shari said...

Dust - I read in the news (probably online) that China is experiencing dust storms, too. I can't imagine what the stuff on your wall is - bubbling? Scary! It's ALIVE! heh heh Anyway, have checked your blog several times a day and was so nice to see today's entry. Sorry to hear, though, that Ahmed won't be able to make the trip to the States with you.

Londi said...

Good to see you back! I missed your blogs. Yeah, that icky stuff on the walls sounds like it can't possibly be good. Worrisome!

Melissa said...

Heya mom and Londi :)
Well, I could post every day but it's pretty mundane stuff. Everything is just kind of floating along at the moment.
Plus sometimes I feel like all I do is complain. I could definitely do more of that! lol
But that gets old fast, no one wants to listen to someone complain all the time.

Shari said...

I don't care if your blog is full of complaints; I just need to know what's up with you. :)