Friday, March 12, 2010

2%

It's been hot!  102 degrees yesterday.  Thank God for air conditioning.  lol
Actually I don't really use the a/c during the day, but in the evening we cool the bedroom down, which is nice.  During the day, because of the direction of the sun, we actually stay fairly cool compared to outside.  Though I do feel the heat when I'm doing anything around the apartment.

It should get a little cooler and then be up and down for a bit until we heat the wall of heat that's called summer.

:::

We were at the grocery store down the street the other day and I was looking in their "baking" section, and I spotted some imitation maple syrup.  Pancake syrup but not pure maple.

I'm sure hubby would be okay with it, though I won't eat it myself.  We didn't buy any but maybe he will want some when our maple syrup runs out, which it is about to do.

What was really great about this syrup though, was the label.

It stated very plainly and proudly, right on the front, that it contained 2% real maple syrup.

Why would anyone admit to that?  lol

I read the ingredients label and the first ingredient is sugar, the second is modified corn something or other, which is just an engineered form of sugar, and some other stuff that I don't particularly want to eat.

Anyways, both hubby and I were amused about the 2%.  I wonder if that gets anyone to buy it.

:::

We're still having a lot of dust everyday.  It's been over a week now, pretty much non-stop.  Some days it's more windy than others, but it's making a lot of mess regardless.

Even with a stopper at the doors, which I don't have yet, none of the window frames fit tight, so the dust just makes itself right at home here.

One good thing about not having any furniture, is that at least it's easier to get the sweeping and mopping done!  lol

I think the dust doesn't usually come until April or so, so it appears to be early.  Just like the 100 degree hot spell we had in February.  Strange days.

:::

It turns out there was a miscommunication about me borrowing hubby's aunt's sewing machine and that what she meant was that I could use it while at my in-laws house, as she was going to leave the machine here in Egypt.

That's not real convenient, seeing as how I'd have to lug anything I want to work on over to the in-laws, and as I am not eager to leave my sewing things there, lug them back home when done for the day.

So, still no machine in sight, though I did get the name of a guy who sells used machines, and I'm sure there is more than one seller in the area, so eventually we will go have a look insha'Allah.

:::

The furniture fair is here in town, I believe it started yesterday, so we will go soon insha'Allah.  Hubby thought we might go today, but as it's still warm, he is working today (the traditional day where everyone is off work) and he will take Tuesday off insha'Allah, when the temp is only supposed to be high 60's or low 70's.  It will be much nicer to be out when it's not so hot.

I don't think we'll buy anything at the fair, but we can look and take information down for when we are going to buy if we find anything we like. 

:::

And hopefully making a trip soon to the larger shopping center, Carrefour, as I want some things that are harder to find at the smaller stores, and if I can find them at Carrefour it will save me having to ask my mom to send over a package, as shipping is expensive.

Alternatively, I might just try to make do with what I can find if I can't get exactly what I'm looking for.

Like baking powder here seems to only be single acting not double acting.  I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make when baking.  I'd also prefer to get some without aluminum.

And vanilla.  Everyone here uses vanillin, which is an artificial flavoring, as that's what is sold here.  The liquid vanilla has alcohol in it, which is forbidden in Islam, so I understand not using the liquid kind (and I haven't seen any for sale here), but the kind I brought with me from the States is in powder form and it's just pure vanilla.  I think it actually tastes better than the liquid variety, but it does seem to perhaps be a little more expensive.

In any case, I don't like using artificial flavorings in my baking (though I know chocolate chips have vanillin in them), and I would go without before using the artificial stuff.

:::

We found a new restaurant that has the BEST shwarma I've had.  Shwarma is a kind of meat sandwich, only usually it's sold as a kind of a wrap.  It contains beef or chicken that has been roasting on a spit, and there is usually either tahina spread on the bread first and/or sometimes there are tomatoes or bell peppers mixed in as well.  Really tasty.

Anyways I've had a hard time finding a good restaurant for them, as usually they are either loaded with grease or too spicy or have bits of tomato or some other thing.  So I was just thrilled about this restaurant and I couldn't stop talking about the shwarma for a while after eating it.  lol

I was going to link to their website as they listed it on their wrappers, but I just checked and it seems that it's under construction.

There's actually something really nice about the way they operate the fast food chains here.

They have a central number that you call and they take your order for delivery, and then send the order to the branch that is closest to your location.  This is much easier then having to hunt down the number for the nearest branch, especially since they come and go.

And pretty much every restaurant here delivers.  All of the fast food places do for sure - KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Hardees, etc.   And they deliver on scooters that have what I guess are hot boxes on the back of them, so they just stick the food in and scooter off.  lol

3 comments:

Londi said...

Stupid question: Do they have daylight savings time in Egypt, or is it strictly an American affliction?

Londi

Melissa said...

Not a stupid question at all! :)
They do have daylight savings here but it starts and stops at different dates than in the States, and some years they change the start and stop dates of it if it's going to affect fasting for our month of Ramadan.
I actually read recently that they might skip it this year altogether. lol
You never know with this country!!

Shari said...

I like that Egypt is flexible about daylight savings. You know, all states do NOT switch; for example, Arizona. They're usually an hour ahead of us, but because Nevada is now on PDT, it's the same time here as where Terri and Jonathan are.