Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The blaaaaaaahs

I wanted to post on Monday, to get back on track with regular Monday postings, but it seems I've got a serious case of the blahs.

This is extending to pretty much everything.  Dishes, laundry, other housework.  Even baking and cooking. 

It's like my life got put on hold for 3 weeks and coming off that I just haven't quite figured out how to get back to whatever normal passed for around here.

But, today I've made some good progress.  Got a load of dishes done and just baked some lemon biscuits.  Hopefully this will be the start of shaking the blahs off.

:::

You know, many people have told me that I was lucky to be living here, to be able to witness history in the making.

I feel a couple (or more) of different ways about this.

For sure, it's been monumental.  It's been scary and exciting and sad and wonderful.  It's brought tears to myself and countless others. 

And I'm not entirely ungrateful about being here during this time.  But... I didn't do anything physically to support what was going on, and not even anything non-physical, unless thoughts count.  I didn't voice my thoughts and opinions openly, not openly online anyways, and so as well as not contributing to things, I could only watch like the rest of the world on the television (for me the computer).

So... I'm not sure how that constitutes lucky in the witnessing history department.

The last couple of days before things ended, I actually went online to look up prices for flights back to the States, because I had reached a point where I really wasn't happy about staying here.  At all.

But, I decided that I didn't have the money to spend and didn't want to ask anyone else for it, and that I would just try to tough it out.

What is lucky about hearing gun shots ring out on your street frequently during the night, or hearing tanks go down the street once an hour all night long?

What's lucky about hearing and seeing groups of men roving the streets, albeit in the name of protecting the neighborhood, holding guns and large sticks, knives and swords?

If I had been in the States and my husband had been here I would have been worried sick.  So in that respect I'm happy to have been here.

And I wish that I could claim some kind of victory but I wasn't fighting with anything but thoughts.

I don't think there is any luck or honor in that.

I'm sincerely and completely happy for the Egyptian people.  I was on the verge of tears off and on for 24 hours after the final news came.  I hope, with all my heart, that they get the freedoms, all of the freedoms, that they truly desire.

I also hope they use it wisely and well.  There is a beauty to this country that I would hate to see spoiled by it becoming too "Western".  That doesn't mean they shouldn't have freedom, just that some people waste freedom in ways that don't further themselves or anyone else.

I hope all that makes some sense.

I'm excited now, now that things are moving forward, to see where this country will go.

What shape will it take?  What will come forward?  What will change for the better?

There are so many areas that could use SO much help.  And people, I think for the most part, are willing to try and help and "fix" the stuff that needs fixing.  Even if they are unskilled or don't know what to do, I think they will be there asking to lend a hand.

Peace to all the people of Egypt.  Peace to the families who have lost a family member in the fighting that went on.  Peace to us all.

 :::

Hope to be back to regular Monday posting.  Hope to post some video and diary soon of the three weeks.

1 comment:

Londi said...

I guess I am basically a coward, but I never thought you were lucky to be there. I thought about how awful it must be. Or how dangerous. I am glad it's over, for the most part anyway. I too, hope the people get the freedoms they deserve. We all deserve to be free.