Friday, November 19, 2010

Again with the plague

Well, where to start?
I know I won't remember half the things I wanted to write about.  I suppose that's what happens when I wait so long to write.

:::

We just finished celebrating Eid al Adha, which is our second holiday of the year.  It always falls a certain number of days after the first Eid, which is celebrated at the end of our fasting month, Ramadan.

This time we went to my in-laws on both Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.  I was able to meet a cousin who was visiting from Jordan and also to see some other cousins that I see a few times a year.

My mother in law was busy in the kitchen as always, and I got to eat fattah both days.  Fattah being the rice/garlic dish that I absolutely adore.  I even had a dream about it a couple of weeks ago.

It's customary for people to slaughter a sheep/goat on this Eid (or have the butcher do it) and then they share the meat out with those less fortunate and also with friends and family, so there is usually sheep during the Eid meals as well.

Unfortunately, on the second day, Wednesday, it seems I came down with the plague.  Hubby has been sick for a week or so and I don't think I have what he has, but maybe he gave me his sick germs and they just mutated into something different in me.  Also, half the family seemed to be sick while we were visiting for Eid, so I guess it's going around.

Hubby was nice enough to do most of the dishes yesterday and also boiled a chicken to make me chicken soup.  Which was yummy.  I'm thankful he is able to help when I'm sick, as I surely wasn't up to anything yesterday.

:::

Two exciting things to share.

I finally got a new computer, alhamdulillah!  I didn't get to pick it out but it's pretty spiffy.  It's loaded with Windows 7 which I have never used before and which I really haven't taken the time to figure out, but so far it seems like there's some nice changes from the other versions of Windows. 

This means that I have no excuse not to finish editing pictures and posting them here.

The second item of excitement was that we bought an iron!  Woo!  lol

This may not seem exciting but I couldn't wear a lot  of the clothes I have because we didn't have an iron.  Oddly enough they're kind of expensive here.  Which I really find strange.  You can certainly get some cheap ones, or cheaper rather, like the ones that weigh about 5 tons and have no steam or anything to them, and you can get some super fancy ones as well.  We went with something in the middle.

Now we just need to get an ironing board.  lol
I was ironing a skirt the other day on the bed and it's a little bit of a challenge but it can be done.

Hard to iron hubby's shirts though without the board.
Insha'Allah we will get a board this week.

:::

My "baby" boy turned 16 on Tuesday.  I am sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate with him.  Sometimes I worry about what I'm missing, and I know we both miss spending time with each other, but for now this is where I'm at.

It's hard to believe he's so old though.  I barely feel older than 16 myself!

I never imagined having kids when I was younger.  In fact I definitely didn't want them.  But I am so happy that I had my son and the chance to watch him develop and grow.

I certainly don't wish kids upon him anytime soon, but I think I will like being a grandparent.  All the fun with not so much of the responsibility.  lol

Well, happy birthday to my bubba.  Love you and miss you.

:::

Alright, last item for the day (will save some items to post in a few days insha'Allah), here is a link to a video I took a couple of weeks ago.

One afternoon I heard some drums down on the street and decided to see what was going on.  I went out onto the balcony and saw that there was a guy who was playing a drum and he had a dog that danced on his hind legs to the drumming.  Amusing.  And the drumming was nice as well.  Of course, donations were accepted.

dancing dog video

2 comments:

Londi said...

What a darling dog!!! Of course, I love dogs so much, I can't even put it into words. Sorry you are sick. Get better soon.

Londi

Melissa said...

Hey Londi. Sorry I never replied.
Yes that dog was cute. :)
The kids down on the street sure liked it as well.