Sunday, October 10, 2010

Picture day v 2.0

Whoopsie daisy!  All those posts I have written in my head somehow haven't made it to the page here.  Imagine that.  :D

I've been able to do some photo editing so getting a little closer on the pyramid photo's.  And in the meantime, here are some miscellaneous food ones.  I think I mentioned them in my last post.

First up is the zucchini carpaccio.  We liked it so much I think we had it 3 times that week.  lol
Just thinly sliced zucchini with oil and lemon drizzled over, then some salt and pepper and last some asiago type cheese on top.  Very yummy!


Next we have a couple of pictures of trying to figure out how to bake cookies since I don't have actual cookie sheets.  I had been using a large pan tray thingy, but I found that the sides really hindered the baking.


Since this wasn't working well at all, I finally found something flat to use, with a slight modification.  It's a uh, thingy you use over pans so that they don't splatter grease.  At least I think that's what it's for.  I just covered it with foil and it actually worked fairly well, so it is my current cookie sheet.  Only having one, baking cookies is a slow and drawn out process.


Next we have the pizza I made from scratch.  Well, I made the dough from scratch.  I'm not quite making my own cheese yet.  lol
The dough turned out really good and it was super super easy.  I've been meaning to make it again but haven't yet.  Soon insha'Allah.
So this is a before it went into the oven and an after it came out of the oven slide.



Here we have shots of my slices of pizza, minus sauce, and hubby's slices, which did have sauce.


And the final picture for this post, birthday cake!  My husband and father kind of but not quite but still almost share a birthday.  lol
So this cake was made for both of them, though unfortunately my dad did not get to taste any.  Sorry dad!
But I thought of you when I was eating it.  :D


:::

Since we're still having trouble with my laptop and I'm not able to use the computer as much, I'm doing more cleaning.  There isn't a lot else to do.  No tv and there's only so much laundry and dishes to do.

It's nice to get the cleaning done, though it tends to leave me a bit tired afterward.  Also, it always feels slightly futile, especially any cleaning that gets done to the balconies, as I know that the dust will be back sooner that you can shake a rag at it.  Nevertheless, it feels really nice to be surrounded by clean.

Still a couple of projects to be done, and then I'm not sure what I'll get up to.  Still wishing on a sewing machine but not sure when I'll get it.  I thought I would buy one when I got back from my trip to the States but holding off for now.

I do have plenty of books to read, however they are all on the computer, and so when it dies quite often, and with no warning, trying to read is a little frustrating.  If we had libraries here like we do in the States I imagine I could keep quite occupied.

Hubby actually remembered a library that he used to go to when he was younger and so we will check that out soon insha'Allah and see if they loan books or have any in English.

:::

I found some information on the Breast Cancer Foundation of Egypt.  They are having a walk later this month, well a walk/run, up at the pyramids.  It's in connection with the Susan G. Komen foundation and also the Suzanne Muburak Peace Foundation (can't remember it's exact name - she's the President's wife).

The walk itself isn't that long, it's only supposed to last for a total of 45 minutes and I believe it's less than a mile.  After the walk they'll have a parade and some ceremony type of thing.  Everyone is welcome to join, men, women and children.

I've convinced hubby that we should do the walk.  It's not that expensive and the money goes towards a good cause.

Here's a link to the page linky link

I'm really looking forward to this!  Will try to take pictures of course.

And that's all folks!

5 comments:

Londi said...

I should try the zucchini. I planted some this Spring and I have had zucchini up the wazoo! I've made zucchini bread till I'm sick of it! I do have a zucchini casserole recipe that I got from a friend and it's really good.

Londi

Marcouiller Trimble said...

hi there! the walk sounds good, and you might meet some new people, and maybe if you like it be part of the organizing for next year!
(you should also check out and see if there are any sewing clubs - sometimes there are places you can go and sew with others. it might be fun.)
hey! your photos look great, did you get a new camera?
hope you are well
xox

Melissa said...

Heya Londi, the zucchini is so good and super easy. I keep meaning to make some zucchini bread. Hubby can't imagine how it would taste good but I told him it's great. :D


Hi Michele :D
Yeah I'm excited about the walk. Lots of opportunities there I guess.

I did get a new camera. It's still kind of a cheapy but the last one was older with too many problems. The only issue with this one is that when I view the pictures full size they look blurry? I guess due to how large they are(?), but it's annoying.
Other than that, loving it.

Shari said...

The zucchini dish looks delish - and so artfully arranged, too. Dad's zucchini plant gets away from us sometimes and we end up with a humungous zucchini...or two. I made zucchini bread out of the first giant - only used about 1/3 of it, it was so big!

Marcouiller Trimble said...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/salad-recipes/courgette-salad-with-mint-garlic-red-chi

this is a good zucchini salad too!